The OIC can trace its origins back to mid 17th century when Stephen Scandarett preached in Haverhill. Scandarett led a clandestine congregation in the period from 1662 to 1672 when he became licensed officially as a Presbyterian Preacher.
This group represents the origins of the Old Independent Congregational Church, but the existing church of that name was not built until 1884, by Charles Bell of London.
The present church has seating for 650 people.
The J. J. Binns Organ at Haverhill Old Independent Church
Our Organ was built in 1901 by J.J. Binns, who was asked to build the instrument as a memorial to Daniel Gurteen. Binns had a high reputation in the last century for fine instruments, with well developed choruses and refined ‘Orchestral Stops’. Our Organ is one of the finest examples of his work in East Anglia. The Organ is a beautiful instrument and is played regularly, except for when it had to undergo a major rebuild in 1992. It is regularly played at Civic Events, Carol Services and Concerts at our Church.
Haverhill OIC organ – www.lavenderaudio.co.uk/oic